This thematic issue is dedicated to the synthesis and characterization of nanomaterials using focused ion and electron beams. The aim is to provide an overview of the recent advancements made over the last years by the communities.
In particular, the issue is focused on the following aspects:
- 1D, 2D and 3D additive manufacturing (nanoprinting) of functional nanostructures for superconducting, magnetic and plasmonic applications.
- Spatially resolved removal or modification of materials using gas-assisted electron/ion beam lithography.
- Focused ion beam (FIB) milling and development of new ion beam sources and gas precursors.
- Characterization methods using focused charged particle beams with techniques such as cryo-electron microscopy, helium ion microscopy, and secondary ion mass spectroscopy.
- Development of novel instrumentation for current and future research on applications of multiple ion species plasma FIB, effective structural modification of nanomaterials using laser FIB, and FIB–SEM tomography for advanced microstructural analysis.
- Theoretical aspects of electron and ion interactions and surface kinetics processes.
Submission deadline: February 29, 2024